Inflammation & Eye Disease
Inflammation is the root cause of many modern diseases. Mankind whipped most terrible infectious diseases like polio & small pox via immunizations. Yet, we suffer from painful, inflammatory maladies that make life miserable. Most inflammatory diseases, like dry eye, can be significantly reduced by lifestyle changes.
EXERCISE should MINIMALLY include 30 minutes three days per week of fast walking, push-ups, sit-ups & weight lifting that raises your heart rate and makes you breath deeply. This simple routine can reduce eye pressure by 10%.
DIET is even more important than exercise when it comes to inflammatory disease.
Foods that are truly BAD for humans to eat.
• AVOID WHITE FOODS – highly refined carbohydrates offer little nutritional value – specifically ANYTHING made with white flour, sugar, white rice, white breads or white potatoes. Simple starches elevate insulin levels. That leads to fat accumulation & metabolic syndrome – consisting of hypertension, belly fat & type II diabetes.
Truly bad foods include French fries, most boxed cereals, candy, chips, most fast foods & fried snack foods. Sugar is your #1 enemy. Aspartame (nutri-sweet) & MSG stimulate pain receptors & cause inflammation.
No sodas are good for you. Diet sodas stimulate your appetite & can lead to weight gain.
• ANYTHING containing high fructose corn syrup (HFCS) – that includes nearly ALL commercial pastries, donuts, cookies, cakes, pies, soft drinks & candies. Read labels. If HFCS is listed in top 5 ingredients – don’t buy it.
• ANYTHING containing hydrogenated fats (trans fat) – like Crisco. You should NEVER cook with, nor eat, foods made with vegetable fats that are solids at room temperature. Olive oil is fine. Real butter is FAR healthier than margarine. Hydrogenated, solid vegetable fats are FAR worse than natural animal fats. Trans fats cause fatty deposit diseases & are highly inflammatory.
• Processed foods include refined carbohydrates, preservatives, artificial flavors, artificial colors, hydrogenated oils & lots of cheap calories, but low nutritional density. If it’s in a box – read the label.
FOODS that Reduce Inflammation.
EAT YOUR COLORS! Berries (blue & black berries in particular), green leafy veggies, cruciferous vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage & Brussels sprouts) & other deeply pigmented produce like sweet potatoes, carrots & peppers. Peas, beans & most whole fruits are healthy. Dried fruit (raisins, prunes etc) concentrate sugars.
Seek “single ingredient foods” real meats, veggies & fruits. Frozen veggies are fine. Shop the perimeter of the market - produce, dairy & meat departments. Minimize boxed, processed foods & soy products.
• Fish derived Omega 3 fatty acids. Eat wild caught salmon, mackerel, sardines and tuna, or take supplements.
Daily supplements of 2,000 to 5,000 mg reduce inflammation & cost about $0.35 per 1,000 mg. Flax derived omega 3 fatty acids are less effective than fish derived omega 3s. Catfish contains virtually no Omega 3.
• Spices – particularly garlic, turmeric, ginger, cinnamon, & capsaicin containing peppers.
• Teas – green, black & white. Coffee is a FANTASTIC anti-oxidant. If the stimulant effect is tolerable, don’t fret.
• Nuts – Particularly, walnuts. Most raw nuts are healthy in small quantities (handfuls).
• Liquid oils at room temperature. Particularly, olive, avocado & flax oils. Corn & Canola oils are not healthy.
Grandma was correct. Eat slowly & chew thoroughly. Minimize liquids before & during meals. Liquids dilute stomach acid and digestive enzymes you need for proper digestion. Add healthier fare to every meal and reduce BAD foods. You’ll reduce inflammation, improve digestion & feel better right away.
Supplements? A good multi-vitamin (like Macula Complete) + 500 mg Vitamin C & 2,000 IU Vitamin D3 daily.